Subject: Re: NetBSD/sparc re-partitioning disks
To: None <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/20/1994 10:01:59
>	I've just installed NetBSD-1.0 on a 2nd disk, and I want to
>	repartition the original disk to hold a copy of 1.0A src so I can
>	compile & install it.  Can I do this under NetBSD?
>	(disklabel seems to think it's not needed :) ).

I don't think "disklabel" is 1.0-friendly.  I'd boot a SunOS CD-ROM and run
"format" from there to repartition.

>	Would there be any chance of including in the distrib/notes/sparc
>	some approximate indication of what disk space is required to do
>	a source compile (will 300Mb be enough? - i.e., a 300Mb partition for
>	the source alone)

isolar:1:154 % rsh -n netbsd4me "chdir /usr/src/1.0 ; du -s -k ."
112554  .

That's the 1.0 source tree, plus a couple of kernel compile directories:

isolar:1:159 % rsh -n netbsd4me "chdir /usr/src/1.0/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile ; du -s -k *"
3882    NETBSD4ME
13268   NETBSD4ME.debug

So the source itself takes up about 95 Mb.  I think a 300 Mb partition would
work ...

>	Also - is there a file somewhere that tells me how to do a full
>	source compile, then install?

"/usr/src/Makefile" :-)

>	(Go into each dir & do a make, then make install? :)

The "make build" target in /usr/src/Makefile is a "prototype", but Chris has
warned people not to use it in the past.  The exact sequence/order is dependant
upon different things.  Your mileage may/will vary ...

	- Greg