Subject: Re: That SPARC disassembler
To: None <mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>
From: David S. Miller <davem@nadzieja.rutgers.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/09/1994 07:23:42
   Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 18:11:40 -0500
   From: der Mouse <mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>
   Cc: port-sparc@netbsd.org

   I started working with that SPARC disassembler, initially trying to
   merge it into a multi-hardware disassembler framework I already have.
   In the process, I found some peculiar things.

... AIeee!

   It also appears to me that there's no way for the disassembler to
   generate the %psr, %wim, or %tbr register names under any
   circumstances; the strings simply aren't there.  I thought this was
   supposed to support current SPARCs...what am I missing?

Thank you so much for so thoroughly going through my code like that,
that code really needed someone to torture test it :-) The reason that
the %psr %win and %tbr cannot be generated is because I origionally
set out to make my disassembler be V9 sparc compliant, and in V9 these
registers don't even exist (we now have whats called PSTATE which is
called the processor state register). This probably explains some (but
I know not all) of the other problems you encountered. If you want to
make patches go ahead, just please send them to me too. I will also go
through the code tonight myself looking at your bug reports.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@nadzieja.rutgers.edu