Subject: Re: Keyboard can cause boot troubles
To: None <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us>
From: David S. Miller <davem@nadzieja.rutgers.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/08/1994 09:23:38
   Date: Thu, 08 Dec 1994 03:05:01 -0800
   From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us>
   Sender: owner-port-sparc@netbsd.org

   >	It seems that if you plug in a newer (i.e., SPARClassic style)
   > keyboard into an older sun4c (like my SPARCstation SLC 4/20) at boot time,
   > the machine can hang at:
   >
   >	found boot device sd0
   >
   > One has to break to the PROM and then just type 'go' to get it out of the rut.

   Uh, is this with -current or with 1.0?

with -1.0, I have had bad luck building current's lately and haven't
gotten around to doing it again. Mainly it seems for me that the
SPARC_SCSI3 config doesn't work right (orphaned device tg0, or tg0 not
found or some garbage) and I need this one to use my scsi drives in
thier current configuration.

   (I never remembered whether booting under "kadb" in SunOS would allow one to
    "catch" a "Watchdog reset", to be honest, but I would have doubted it.)

kadb allows you to catch all bad breaks into the prom and scan memory
to see what just happened (ie. stack backtraces, PC and nPC right
before the reset, etc.) Hope this helps.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@nadzieja.rutgers.edu