Subject: Re: (Quasi-) SUMMARY: pre-built kernels with UCONSOLE
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/06/1994 16:45:27
> I would like to go on record as favoring a SunOS-like (*gasp*) solution to
> this problem; i.e., if I own the "real" console device, I ought to be able to
> redirect it.  It might even be a useful feature across *all* the NetBSD
> platforms.

I tend to consider the the devices which you happen to need to run X as just
another bunch of resources (of which in the nominal case, there's just the
one set available), that have nothing to do with a device on which system
messages happen to appear. I'd say that if you want access to those (the
"real" console) you must be given operator-like privileges.

-pk