Subject: Wedging a system via remote high-bandwidth X programs
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/02/1994 08:29:30
Hmmn.  This has now happened to me twice, so it may bear further investigation.

If you are brave, can you try the following test?

Fire up X11 R6 on your NetBSD/SPARC system and log onto another machine.

Set $DISPLAY back to your system and then fire up a remote X program on the
other machine that sends a *LOT* of data - constantly (even if for a short
while) - back at your X server.

On one occasion, I ran "mpeg_play" on an MPEG movie on the remote system, and
yesterday I fired up a "vic" window - an MBONE video app with a high frame rate
and near-constant output - on a remote machine and pointed it back to mine.

The results, in both cases:

- After a few seconds, instead of getting a window outline, the screen froze.

- After a few more seconds, the screen went completely blank.

- The machine was no longer ping-able at this point - wedged.

- Stop-A didn't get me a PROM prompt on-screen, but it was dropped to the PROM,
  because I blindly typed "sync" and it came back up.

This was on an IPC with a CG6 (GX) running 1.0.

	- Greg

P.S. Can one boot a 1.0 system under DDB?  If so, what is required to do so?
     (ddb(4) isn't terribly forthcoming on the subject)