Subject: Re: Shared library slowdown workaround
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/26/1994 19:55:42
> OK, I've got a workaround for the shared library slowdown.  (I understand it
> now, and will come up with a cleaner fix soon.)

Great!  Nice detective work.  I'm sure all our X11 binaries will breathe easier
now  (-:

Out of curiosity, though, once there's a "cleaner fix", will it be back-ported?

What I mean by that:

- Hopefully it will come out as an official patch to 1.0 (patch_06, anyone?)?

- Will the "netbsd.{first,id3}_scsi" kernels in NetBSD-1.0/arch/sparc/install
  be re-gen'd with this fix, for the benefit of "newbies"?

- Btw, while I'm asking, if new distribution kernels are re-gen'd, can I beg
  (pretty please (-: ) that they be built with "options UCONSOLE", so that
  "xconsole" will work out of the box?  All the other i386 kernel config files
  seem to use it, and the only way to make "xconsole" work otherwise is to
  make it setuid root, which not only makes me nervous but makes it possible
  for other people to grab the console by running it (presumably they'd be
  rejected by xauth-based mechanisms in the normal non-setuid case).

(Speaking of X and shared libraries, my next project is to compile Motif 2.0.
 I'll be making libs/binaries (mwm, etc.) available as soon as I'm done.
 I dunno about include files, however; JPL is a site-licensee for Motif but I
 don't know what OSF's policy is towards redistribution of header files - even
 if you don't give out any of the source.  Watch this space ... )

	- Greg