Subject: Re: NFS problems with sunos machines to netbsd sparc
To: None <besancon@excalibur.ens.fr, davem@nadzieja.rutgers.edu>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/23/1994 07:33:32
>> Setting nfs_portmon to 0 on SunOS solves the problem.  When
>> nfs_portmon is set to 1, I get error messages dealing with weak
>> authentication. If you want the exact messages, I can recreate them.

> Yes,  I realized this was possible.  But I can not due this due to
> security concerns.  I just want to be able to plop a netbsd machine
> into an already existing networking setup and make it a usable
> machine, I should not have to  reconfigure my servers to get one new
> machine to work, especially in this case.

(I assumme this is about getting a NetBSD machine to boot diskless off
a SunOS machine.)

I agree.  I had a similar problem, except I needed to specify "don't
connect the socket" (NFSMNT_NOCONN, I think it is).

> Is there a kernel compile time option to set priviledged port nfs
> usage by default in Netbsd?

There wasn't.  I added one but was told something along the lines of
"there's no need for it", meaning presumably that that person saw no
need for it, and that there were too many kernel config options already
(though what problem one more would introduce was never explained,
especially since if unspecified the default is the current behavior).
I'll be glad to send the patches to anyone who wants them.

This is going to port-sparc because the note I'm replying to did, and
to current-users because the problem and, I believe, my patch are
architecture-indepedent.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu