Subject: Re: Issues with X11R6 native on NetBSD/sparc
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Sam C. Nicholson !! <scion@symtec.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/30/1994 14:56:09
der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> sez:>

>...  If you run
>cc -E on XlibInt.c (with appropriate other options) and examine the

Will do.

>Oh, this is really gross.  Casting char * to short, or worse, char?
>should be taken out in back of the barn and shot before it infects

Folks who code thusly would probably enjoy that experience, too.

>This is unfortunate.  The code is entirely correct, both in detail and
>conceptually.  (It's comparing a version number, in an unsigned char,
>against a manifest constant for the current version number, which is 0,
>using >=.  Unsigned chars are always >= 0.)

Yah, this happens with our gcc2.3.3 based cross development system here at
work; and the resulting machine code is correct as well.  I had thought it
was fixed in later revisions.  I'll see if I can isolate a code fragment
that will reproduce it and package it off to the gcc folks for comments.

I believe that I have found answers to all my X11R6 questions.
Thanks all.  Results on whether it works on the cg6 Monday.

-sam