Subject: NetBSD/SPARC 1.0Beta vs. X11 R5 - Battle of the Titans?
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: - Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/11/1994 19:33:48
Some big changes (hardware arrangement-wise) are afoot at my work, and rather
coincidentally dovetail with the approximate release date of NetBSD 1.0.
I'll spare all of you the details, but the net result is that I end up with a
single machine on my desk - either a SPARCstation-2 + Weitek u-Power or my
existing IPC - and I'd like to commit to working with NetBSD/SPARC 1.0 on it.

Towards this end I loaded the most recent snapshot, built a new kernel with
up-to-date -current sources, and so far there have been very few problems.

However, I can't really commit to using it as my desktop box unless I can get
some release of X11 running reliably on it.  My test mule IPC has got a CG3 in
it, just in case.  I fetched the pre-built X11R5 binaries from somewhere; I
think maybe ftp.IAState.EDU.  Those are the ones George in Oz built, I believe?

Anyway, I can't help but wonder - am I the only person trying to run X on their
NetBSD/SPARC box?  Surely I can't be.  If you are, could you report your
success/failure with running X?  I am wondering if I'm the only person running
into these problems.  Here is what I have found; none of these problems were
cured by upgrading to the latest binaries or a new kernel.  (I apologize if
you've seen these same troubles reported before.)

- I am using a SunOS Xsun binary, after Chris T. and Theo fixed the CG3 driver,
  it works great.  So no server problems.

- I tried to use the supplied "twm" binary, but it doesn't work.  If I run it
  directly, it hangs.  I never even get window borders.  If I run it under
  "ktrace", it gets a little further; it puts up window borders, but they're
  the wrong colors.  And it doesn't respond to mouse events.  It claims to
  have opened/read my .twmrc, but doesn't act on anything specified in it.
  (e.g., I have two extra titlebar buttons specified in there; they don't show
   up in the titlebar)

  Oddly enough, if I run a SunOS-compiled "mwm" binary instead, it works fine.

- "xconsole" fails to grab the console, so anything going to /dev/console gets
  blatted directly onto the framebuffer.  Window says "Couldn't open console".
  I also can't seem to Close that particular window from "mwm" (but I can close
  others).

- "xman" doesn't seem to know about NetBSD's man page structure, and it also
  can't find its app-defaults file and wants to quit.

- "xload" complains "can't get namelist from /vmunix".  Just for fun, I made a
  "/vmunix" symlink to "/netbsd", but that doesn't make it happy.

The permissions on "xload"/"xterm"/"xlock" etc. seem to be right:

netbsd4me# ls -lg xload xlock xterm
-rwxr-sr-x  1 root  kmem    26904 Apr 21 10:58 xload*
-r-sr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   62540 Apr 21 11:34 xlock*
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  180568 Apr 21 10:59 xterm*

If anyone out there has solved any of these problems, I would greatly
appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks much in advance,

	- Greg

P.S. Oh ... one other OS problem: I am an "amd" neophyte and just tried to get
     it going.  It does everything fine - catches references to the mount point
     directories, knows to go look up the map entry in the NIS map (yes, I
     have "ypbind" running as well, and it seems to work wonderfully so far).
     But when it queries the NIS server, instead of asking for the key -
     e.g., if I reference "/home/earle", it doesn't ask the NIS server for the
     entry "earle" in the "auto.home" map - it asks for a "/defaults" entry:

19:29:20.48545 netbsd4me.jpl.nasa.gov -> nisserver.jpl.nasa.gov NIS C ORDER
 map auto.home in nisdomain
19:29:20.48819 nisserver.jpl.nasa.gov -> netbsd4me.jpl.nasa.gov NIS R ORDER
 OK order=776542748
19:29:20.49203 netbsd4me.jpl.nasa.gov -> nisserver.jpl.nasa.gov NIS C MATCH
 /defaults in auto.home
19:29:20.49369 nisserver.jpl.nasa.gov -> netbsd4me.jpl.nasa.gov NIS R MATCH
 No such key

     What is this "/defaults" entry, and why is it trying that instead of the
     proper map key?