Subject: NetBSD on SPARClones?
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Daniel Poirot <poirot@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/28/1994 09:13:16
Howdy NetBSDers,

I FTP'ed NetBSD 0.9 from iastate last night (instead of just going
home) and installed it on a 330 Meg external drive set to SCSI ID #1.

I created the a, b and g partitions, 'newfs' /dev/sd1a and /dev/sd1g,
copied /boot from a SPARC running SunOS 4.1.3, ran
'/usr/mdec/installboot -vlt /mnt/boot bootsd /dev/rsd1a' and shelled
the install.sh file to extract the various distribution files.

I set the eeprom variables 'security-mode' to none and 'sunmon-compat?'
to 'false'.

Then, from the PROM 'ok' prompt, I entered 'boot sd(0,1,0)netbsd-sd1 -bs'.

The disk spins up, /boot loads, netbsd-sd1 loads, does an inventory of
devices, prints 'Found boot device sd1'.

And then...  Nothing.

I also tried setting the disk to #3 and booting sd(0,0,0)netbsd-sd0
with the same result.

Any clues?  I tried this on a Tatung 5025 (SPARC 1+), Tatung 5040
(SPARC 2), Sun SPARC 1+ and Sun SPARC 2.

I had a real problem with the Tatung 5040.  It has OpenPROM version
2.4.  The command 'boot sd(0,1,0)netbsd-sd1' won't work.  You have to
do something like 'boot /esp@0,80000/sd@1,0 netbsd-sd1' and then it
reports that it can't find the boot blocks!

Eagerly awaiting 1.0,
- dan