Subject: X server for sparc
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Dennis Ferguson <dennis@ans.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/20/1994 20:04:33
Hello,

I wanted an X server for NetBSD on an SS IPX, and after seeing
nothing else around I thought I'd try compiling X11R6 with the
Sun server to see if it would work (which I didn't actually expect,
but I thought I'd try anyway).  After poking at it for a while
to get it to compile, I ended up with 240 Mb less disk space and
with a server which actually gets as far as clearing the screen before
emitting a 3.6Mb core dump from a segmentation fault in the keyboard
initialization code.

In any case, I'm still interested in acquiring an X server for the
machine if one exists or can be built.  Is anyone running an X server
on a sparc machine with a NetBSD of fairly recent vintage?  If so,
where would be a good place to find the server?  If someone has
tried X11R6 and managed to get the server past the keyboard initialization,
I'd be interesting in hear about that too.

Thanks,
Dennis Ferguson