Subject: Re: Building May31 src from Apr25 binaries anybody?
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: - Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/08/1994 19:56:04
>  My solution to upgrade from April 25 is to build the kernel at first but not
>install it at once.  Then I build a static libc library and use it to build
>ld, gas and gcc2.  When they are built, reboot with the new kernel and continue
>with the unfinished part.  It should work.

Given that we are always going to have a situation like the following:

- There is an existing binary shapshot, such as Theo's April 25th release
- There will be some sort of -current as of the day you want to do it (i.e.,
  either you've grabbed a weekend set of tar balls, or you're sup'ing daily)
- You want to try and upgrade from the former to the latter, hopefully in such
  a way as to not jeopardize the existing snapshot in case things screw up

Is there any canonical set of steps that we agree on for getting from A to B?

For example, if you start with the April 25th NetBSD/SPARC binaries, go down
to /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/conf, cp TDR2 to BURFLE and twiddle it and
run the existing config.new on BURFLE, then go to ../compile/BURFLE and
do your "make depend" and try a "make", it dies right away because of the
_VA_LIST_ -> _BSD_VA_LIST_ changes to <stdio.h>.

This implies that moving /usr/include to include.save and doing a "make install"
in /usr/src/include is by default the necessary first step, no matter what.
It looks like attempting the kernel build always(?) comes next; from then on
it's anybody's guess - but the above suggestion looks more than reasonable.

Something like

(1) cd /usr
(2) mv include include.save
(3) cd /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/conf
(4) cp TDR2 BURFLE
(5) vi BURFLE
(6) config.new BURFLE
(7) cd ../compile/BURFLE
(8) make depend
(9) make
(10) cd /usr/src/lib/libc
(11) setenv enironment-variable-that-causes-static-lib-only to be built
(12) make
(13) mv /usr/lib/libc.a /usr/lib/libc.a.save
(14) cp libc.a /usr/lib/libc.a
... etc. ... (please fill in)
(nn) cd /usr/src
(nn+1) make build

would be really really handy ... ("Armchair quarterback's guide to building
NetBSD/SPARC" (-: )

	- Greg