Subject: Re: Building May31 src from Apr25 binaries anybody?
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Open Carefully -- Contents Under Pressure <greywolf@autodesk.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/06/1994 10:22:29
Oh, good, I'm not the only one!

#define AUTHOR "ejk@nitrous.digex.net (Ed Kern)"

/*
 * Hello,
 *
 * Im not having a whole lot of luck compiling the May31 src tar balls...
 * Using the Apr 25 binaries, and kernel as a starting point.
 * Everything ( with the exception of the kernel ) builds ( and runs )
 * well enough ( using libc.so.9.0 )  but nothing will run when linked
 * with libc.so.11.0.
 *
 * Any assistance or debugging help would be great..
 *
 * Ed
 *
 * PS Would also be willing to provide anonymous ftp space for new
 * binary tar balls....
 *
 */
/*** end two cents worth from Ed Kern ****/

I am also having problems:

	- Installed /usr/include
	- did "make clean && make && make install" in /usr/src/lib
	- did "make clean && make && make install" in /usr/src/gnu

As soon as that finished, the entire C compiler suite failed to work:

gcc: cpp internal error: terminated by signal 12

Sure enough, /usr/libexec/cpp gave

Bad system call (core dumped)

I thought it was just cpp, but it turned out that as, cpp1 and ld
were also affected.

I'd really like to rebuild my kernel as the terminal hanging off my debugging
port only goes to 19200 baud, but...

	- couldn't make kernel without proper compilers and includes
	- can't seem to generate proper compilers.

Oh, yes, one other small problem:  When building gdb, it barfed on
gnu/usr.bin/gdb/bfd/netbsd-core.c because it is trying to find the
sizeof(struct trapframe) which, due to a non-inclusion of
<machine/regs.h>, it cannot find.  Is there supposed to be
another way of determining the sizeof(struct trapframe) or was I doing
the right thing in including <machine/regs.h>?

I'm also currently *really* interested in knowing why, on occasion,
after receiving the trailing line noise from a disconnect, ttya hangs.
It seems that the silo overflow message and ttya hanging have nothing
in common as I have been able to re-establish control with ttya after
getting the "zs0a: silo overflow".  Is there a major race condition
in there or what?

Make a hacker happy.  Use a *real* OS.

 ________ _____ ____  ________ _____WHO: Greywolf (my nameplate even says so)
/ ___\ _ \ __\ V / \  / /__ \| | __/WHAT: UNIX System Mangler...er, Admin
\ \| |   < _| ` ' \ '` / \/ /|_| _/ WHERE: Autodesk, Inc.  3 Harbor Dr.
 \___|_|\_\__\|_|  \/\/ \__/___/_|  Sausalito, CA 94965 (415) 332-2344 x4219
You are carrying:
    one red potion
    one oil lamp
    50 feet of rope