Subject: vs. - gdb (bfd) fails to compile
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: - Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/16/1994 06:06:02
Using Theo's last snapshot as a base, I just downloaded the latest tar balls
from sun-lamp and set about doing a "make build".

It gets as far as making "gdb", but it falls flat when compiling the file
"trad-core.c" (in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb/bfd/).  It stumbles over line 219:

  core_regsec (abfd)->vma = 0 - (int) u.u_ar0;

A quick check of <sys/user.h> revealed:

#define U_ar0   u_kproc.kp_proc.p_md.md_regs /* copy of curproc->p_md.md_regs */
#define u_ar0   U_ar0

but looking at <sys/proc.h>, I see

/*
 * Machine-dependent part of the proc structure for SPARC.
 */
struct mdproc {
        struct  trapframe *md_tf;       /* trap/syscall registers */
        struct  fpstate *md_fpstate;    /* fpu state, if any; always resident */
};

i.e., no md_regs.  Most ports have an "md_regs" in the "mdproc" structure, but
not NetBSD/SPARC.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?  Should the BFD that "gdb" uses be changed?

	- Greg

P.S. I also tried out the "X11-sparc.tar" binaries on ftp.IAState.EDU; (thanks
     to whomever put them there - George?) they *almost* completely worked for
     me ... I stumbled across two things: (a) "xconsole" still complains
     "Can't open console" in the window; and (b) "twm" gets into a really
     strange loop where it keeps trying to read 8K from /dev/tty - Lord only
     knows why.  I got my SunOS-compiled "mwm" to work, so that's not as
     life-threatening at the moment ... anyone else run into this behavior?
     Meanwhile, anyone tried to compile X11 R6 pl 0 on NetBSD/SPARC yet?  (-:
     Anyone?  Anyone??  Bueller??