Subject: Re: newfs: ioctl (WDINFO): Inappropriate ioctl for device
To: None <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US, port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/15/1994 10:25:52
>I ran "newfs -m 5 -i 8192 /dev/rsd1c" and it made the new file system, but at
>the end I got the message

>	Bad pack magic number (label is damaged, or pack is unlabeled)
>	# /dev/rsd1c:
>	type: unknown
>	disk:
>	label:

NetBSD/sparc has read-only labels. The disk actually contains a SunOS
label, not a NetBSD label. The SunOS labels are converted into NetBSD
labels deep inside the kernel. disklabel does not use the in-memory
label, it reads it from the disk and attempts to parse it, thus
failing.

The best thing that could be done, I suppose, is to make the disklabel
command more capable of dealing with native disklabel formats. There's
other ports that could benefit from this too..

If you just ignore the error from newfs, and don't attempt to use
disklabel to modify the sunos label, you should do fine. It is better
to use the NetBSD newfs because the SunOS newfs lays out blocks
optimally for mcvoy's filesystem improvements in SunOS.