Subject: Re: NEW SNAPSHOT! / xterm & TIOCGPGRP
To: None <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US, port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/21/1994 02:43:25
>Do I take it that with this snapshot,
>I could now try and get "sup" running to upgrade my src from the March 27th
>pre-"off_t" sources I still have?

yes. the new sources are 64 bit off_t, and you should have minimal
problems tracking things from here on in (until the next big
break-everything change). Be sure to follow current-users as that
is where bootstrapping issues are normally discussed.

>>Just trying to run xterm and I get a "xterm: no available ptys" message.  Using
>>"ktrace" and looking at the xterm source, there "seems" to be a difference in
>>TIOCGPGRP handling ...
>
>I have the *exact* same problem.

sorry -- you're likely to have that problem for a long time. The SunOS
pgrp/session code is more lax and forgiving than POSIX says it should
be. Our code is ... probably close to POSIX. I presume that SunOS made
their pgrp's lax so that SunOS 3.5 binaries could run, or perhaps
SunOS 4.0 binaries.

Unfortunately it will fail to run a SunOS-compiled xterm if your shell
is csh. Some have reported that using `sh' works (?)

There is unlikely to be a fix put in the kernel to get around this
problem. But, soon there'll be a native X distribution... right?