Subject: Re: Anomalies in the 4/1 snapshot...
To: Data In~rte~vgri}ity EnginNO CARRIER <greywolf@autodesk.com>
From: Chris Torek <torek@BSDI.COM>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/09/1994 23:56:35
>         I'm glad to see that it bypasses the per-character PROM console
>         driver, whether by design (the PROM driver was undesired) or
>         by acceptance (couldn't reach the PROM driver).

By design; the prom code is just too slow.

>         (seeing as the "hostid" command and gethostid() call are not
>          available/written yet, I am starting to more suspect the latter).

No, the host ID is obtained at boot and put in the `hostid' variable.
The gethostid and sethostid calls may have been converted to sysctls
in 4.4.  I have no idea what NetBSD did with them.  (Note that I
allow you to change the hostid any time you want....)

>       - The keyboard driver is missing the key-repeat code (or is that
>         in hardware somewhere?).  I'm sure this will be fixed, too, but
>         just FYI, as a sanity check (to make sure I still have some).

It must be done in software.  But why bother?  If you want decent
keyboard handling, run X :-)

Chris