Subject: Anomalies in the 4/1 snapshot...
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Data In~rte~vgri}ity EnginNO CARRIER <greywolf@autodesk.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/08/1994 22:07:34
Some things I have noticed in getting NetBSD up and running:

        - remote root is completely denied and I have tried every combination
          I can think of in /root/.rhosts

        - the console driver is *nice* (at least on a bw2).  It kind of
          dawned on me one evening as I was watching netbsd boot up.
          I'm glad to see that it bypasses the per-character PROM console
          driver, whether by design (the PROM driver was undesired) or
          by acceptance (couldn't reach the PROM driver).
          (seeing as the "hostid" command and gethostid() call are not
           available/written yet, I am starting to more suspect the latter).

        - Accessing FIFOs causes a data fault in the kernel, yet fsck does
          not catch them as bad file modes.  I know it will eventually
          be fixed...

        - The keyboard driver is missing the key-repeat code (or is that
          in hardware somewhere?).  I'm sure this will be fixed, too, but
          just FYI, as a sanity check (to make sure I still have some).

	- I'm sure one could easily come up with the routines for fsck
	  to maintain a "clean/stable" flag in a filesystem such that
	  "fsck -p" would jam through the clean filesystems; the kernel
	  routines for "sync" to update the flag would be similarly
	  easy.  I think the hard part would be for the kernel to mark
	  the filesystem as "dirty" during routine operation (unless the
	  hooks are already there and I have missed them -- quite
	  likely).

	- Is it just me or is the swapgeneric code still a bit rough?
	  (The kernel immediately faulted with a data fault when I
	   tried one config.new'd for swap generic...).

With minor tweaking, the machine came up rather nicely!  I'm quite happy
with the way it works so far -- *MOST* impressive.  Thanks to Theo who
took the time to answer a number of my (stoopid(*)) questions.

And major thanks to everyone who put in time on this!

To anyone with a "slow internet link":  How slow is "slow"?  I'm stuck
trying to talk ppp/slip/rs232/kermit (pick one) thru a 9.6KB modem :-P

--

Make a hacker happy.  Use a *real* OS.
--

 ________ _____ ____  ________ _____WHO: Greywolf (my nameplate even says so)
/ ___\ _ \ __\ V / \  / /__ \| | __/WHAT: UNIX System Mangler...er, Admin