Subject: Help booting NetBSD sparc port.
To: NetBSD Sparc Port <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael Dickson <MDICKSON@CSI.compuserve.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/07/1994 11:16:00
  I grabbed the NetBSD "netbsd.sd0" kernel via sup and downloaded it to my Sparc
1+.  After changing into new-command mode and turning of security I tried
booting the kernel just to see how far I might get.  Note that I didn't install
dev files or anything else yet as I only have one disk on my machine (a 340 meg
CDC scsi drive).

  Anyway the kernel booted fine and proceeded to probe hardware.  It found the
esp0 scsi control but failed to find disks with a "not configured" error.  It
also produced a "not configured" messages for the cgsix frame buffer.  I'll
admit to not knowing alot about how the bootstrap process works on a sun
(pointers to any reference material would be greatly appreciated) so I may have
just something stupid.  I'd like to put NetBSD on my  sun so I have an OS with
source to do some development work on.  It's also a much closer match to out
BSDI environment at work.  Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might
proceed?  Is doing this conversion with a single SCSI disk even feasible?

Mike Dickson
CompuServe,Incorporated