Subject: Re: X11 for netbsd-sparc
To: None <torek@BSDI.COM>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/07/1994 16:02:05
> This is a bug in the vm/pmap code.  I sent Theo a fix ages ago.

It's been a while since I last tried. Anyway, the fix is in place.

>   Yes,
> the Sun XNews server peeks into kernel data structures.  Why?  To
> build the magic cookie, I think.  Yech.  But it is a generic
> bug in /dev/mem / pmap.c and needs fixing anyway.

Hmm, xnews itself is not set[ug]id, so it shouldn't be capable of messing
with /dev/mem. But I did just now find a setgid `mkcookie' in openwin's lib
directory, that appears to be used only to produce an argument for the
`-auth' switch. I guess that's the spoil-sport then...

-pk