Subject: Re: The 11th NetBSD/SPARC machine [Long]
To: Paul Kranenburg <owner-port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Chief Anarchic Officer <greywolf@autodesk.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/29/1994 11:36:05
The apparently hard part is constructing a gcc which will produce a.out stuff
in NetBSD format and not SunOS format...

Paul Kranenburg writes...
/*
 *
 * > >Oh, time for a *real* (probably) stupid question:  If I define things
 * > >right, can I compile with gcc-2.5.8 and have it work, or do I have to be
 * > >able to build gcc under BSD to get it working?  I'm trying to build under
 * > >SunOS and migrate over.
 * >
 * > Migrating is going to take you ages. I suggest you get it over with
 * > and install the binary snapshots -- that is what they are there for.
 * > Migrating is *serious grief*, right Paul?
 * >
 * Once you have a decent cross-compilation environment things can roll quite
 * smoothly. The problem is you have to hand-craft such an environment. Besides
 * building a cross- (ie. SunOS -> NetBSD) gcc, you'll want `make', `cpp', `as'
 * and `ld' as well + an assortment of environment variables to make gcc look
 * into the correct tree.
 *
 * > Best yet, wait 2 more days when I'll finally finish ftp'ing the new
 * > snapshot into place.
 * >
 *
 */
[ End of excerpt from pk@cs.few.eur.nl (Paul Kranenburg) ]

Make a hacker happy.  Use a *real* OS.
--

 ________ _____ ____  ________ _____WHO: Greywolf (my nameplate even says so)
/ ___\ _ \ __\ V / \  / /__ \| | __/WHAT: UNIX System Mangler...er, Admin