Subject: Re: The 11th NetBSD/SPARC machine [Long]
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/29/1994 03:23:09
> > Best yet, wait 2 more days when I'll finally finish ftp'ing the new
> > snapshot into place.

More on this:

It took almost 24 hours to build, more than an hour to tar, and the
gzip'ed files are still busy rcp'ing to lamp (4 hours of rcp time so
far..) I am blessed with a slow internet link, a 12M IPC, and must
compile the entire tree over NFS.

I couldn't test this latest snapshot due to serious spindle shortage.
I suggest that a few brave folks with fast internet connections and
spare disks should ftp it first. Report install problems to me & the
mailing list.  I'll fix them as soon as I can -- but I don't expect
any serious problems.

Another note: the archives do not include profiled libraries or man
pages. I need a new disk before I can do that (as a number of people
have noticed, 12M+8M of virtual memory is not sufficient to compile
libc with man pages and profiled libraries, the machine hangs.) The
rest of the tree is intact, though, so updating current immediately
after should be easy.

Once the files appear on lamp they will be copied to other MIRROR
sites, as I understand.