Subject: Re: The 11th NetBSD/SPARC machine [Long]
To: None <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US, greywolf@autodesk.com,>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/29/1994 12:07:08
> >Oh, time for a *real* (probably) stupid question:  If I define things
> >right, can I compile with gcc-2.5.8 and have it work, or do I have to be
> >able to build gcc under BSD to get it working?  I'm trying to build under
> >SunOS and migrate over.
>
> Migrating is going to take you ages. I suggest you get it over with
> and install the binary snapshots -- that is what they are there for.
> Migrating is *serious grief*, right Paul?

Once you have a decent cross-compilation environment things can roll quite
smoothly. The problem is you have to hand-craft such an environment. Besides
building a cross- (ie. SunOS -> NetBSD) gcc, you'll want `make', `cpp', `as'
and `ld' as well + an assortment of environment variables to make gcc look
into the correct tree.