Subject: Kernel building
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: - Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/28/1994 12:47:33
Hi, Clueless here.

After sorting out the missing/needed target directories in /usr/share,
/usr/share/man/cat* and /usr/games, I've managed to get user-land all built
and installed (with NO hitches whatsoever - *clap* *clap* - bravo!).

I noticed that the /usr/src "make && make install" doesn't do a whole lot down
inside /usr/src/sys; just seems to build 3 of the 4 kernel libraries:

ls -lt /usr/obj/sys/lib
total 10
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   512 Mar 28 03:44 libnetboot.sparc/
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  2560 Mar 28 03:44 libkern.sparc/
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   512 Mar 28 03:41 libc_sa.sparc/

So my ignoramus question for the day is, how do you make a kernel?

Obviously, I'm used to doing the Sun non-source method of

	cd /sys/`arch -k`/conf
	cp GENERIC BURFLE
	vi BURFLE
	config BURFLE
	cd ../BURFLE
	make

routine; but I suspect in NetBSD it's *not* as simple as

	ln -s /usr/src/sys /sys
	cd /sys/arch/sparc/conf
	cp TDR2 BURFLE
	vi BURFLE
	config(.new?) BURFLE
	cd ../compile/BURFLE
	make

???

Also, perhaps Theo would be so kind as to comment on the diffs between TDR and
TDR2 - specifically, the removal of "options LKM" and the removal of some of
the pseudo-devices, like "tun", "vn", "ppp" and "bpfilter":

***************
*** 61,69 ****

  pseudo-device loop
! pseudo-device tun     4
! pseudo-device vn      3
! pseudo-device pty     32
! pseudo-device sl      2
! pseudo-device ppp     2
! pseudo-device bpfilter 16
  pseudo-device kbd

  pseudo-device loop
! pseudo-device pty
! pseudo-device sl
  pseudo-device kbd

Nearly there!!!  Excitement builds!!!  (-:

Thanks,

	- Greg