Subject: Re: The 12th NetBSD/SPARC machine
To: None <greywolf@autodesk.com>
From: - Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/28/1994 13:00:04
>I guess that would make my entry the twelfth NetBSD/SPARC machine (for what
>that's worth).  Actually, it's the 11-and-a-halfth, as, after having loaded the
>binaries, it never makes it past the boot process into even single-user mode.
>
>It comes up finding all the interrupts and such, but it produces an interesting
>message:
>
>note:  49 pages lost in translation.
>
>I have three targets attached to the machine:
>        A disk at target 0 (sd3 in sunspeak)
>It goes through all the devices but then complains:
>
>Cannot attach target 0 (or something like that -- it's been a few days)
>panic: mountroot() cannot mount root
>Rebooting...

>Is there something else I need to do?   *Please* don't tell me I need to swap
>SCSI IDs because I can't do that with this particular machine ...

Well, if I don't tell you, then you won't find out why your machine won't boot.
(-:

Think of it this way - if you built a SunOS kernel and specified something like

	vmunix		root on sd0a swap on type spec sd0b

and you booted it on a system with no sd0, but an sd3 instead (i.e., yours)
you wouldn't very well expect it to come up, would you?

Theo's TDR2 kernel has support for sd0 on SCSI target 3 and sd1 on target 1.

If'n you want a custom kernel that supports sd0 on SCSI target 0, you'll have
to swap the IDs until you can get it running, and then download the source and
ultimately build a new custom kernel (I'll tell you how as soon as I figure
out how to build kernels (-: ) with the targets assigned how you want them.

	- Greg