Subject: Re: Bootstrapping NetBSD/SPARC
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/27/1994 05:04:48
I had said:
> cd /usr/src/share/mk; make install
> cd /usr/src/include; make && make install
>
>No problems so far.  But then ...
>
>netbsd4me:74 # cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make; make && make install && make clean
>cc   -o make arch.o buf.o compat.o cond.o dir.o for.o hash.o job.o main.o \
>compat.o: Undefined symbol ___sF referenced from text segment
>
>[ ... several other references to ___sF, _strerror, and _setenv follow ... ]
>
>var.o: Undefined symbol _setenv referenced from text segment
>*** Error code 1

OK, found this one.  I'll only mention it to help other NetBSD newbies keep
from tripping over it.  I'd made a few symlinks in /usr/lib; one of which was

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel       23 Feb 23 21:46 libc.so.1.8.1@ -> \
../sun/lib/libc.so.1.8.1

(following Theo's example from a while back) in order to try and run my Sun X.
So it picked up the Sun libc during the link.

Now that I got rid of that symlink I suspect things will go a lot better; I'm
now hitting far more innocuous things like

	nroff -mandoc make.1 > make.0
	groff: can't find `DESC' file
	groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'

This I can deal with a lot easier :-)  (Missing /usr/share/tmac, I assume.)

I think I'll take Theo's advice and just try the "bang my head against it"
approach until I get through it ...

	- Greg

P.S. I like these "real-time" responses ... even if it's at 5:00 AM PST :-)