Subject: Sun loadable kernel modules
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: George Michaelson <G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/18/1994 17:37:48
Off-the-planet-request-time:

Is it even remotely plausible that a method for inter-working with
a STunOS loadable kernel module could be developed?

I imagine not for the following putative reasons:

	(1)	they dabble into hardwired physmem in evil ways.

	(2)	they require more glue layer than is desirable in NetBSD.

	(3)	even if they do use sane address/offset, structure walks
		down stuff like mbuf chains is too different.

That said, there is a class of hardware (Sun VideoPix) which is driven by
a StunOS lkm, and I would *LOVE* to be able to talk to it...

Many thanks for help with bootstrapping into NetBSD-current from the
extant arch/sparc binaries, I have got over all problems to date.

In case nobody else is seeing this:

	can't set CAPSLOCK light on console keyboard from Sun/X11

	mouse serial reports silo overflow and parity errors

	xterm/csh dumps core at random at sub-command termination.

-George