Subject: disklabels
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/13/1994 17:32:51
I think I already asked this question once, but it was
buried deep in an e-mail at some stage, and I never got any answers :-(

I have a lagre (1.3Gb) drive that I would like to move from my 486
box to the SS2. However, all my experiences with Suns in the past
tell me that disk tend to have less useful space than on other
architectures. This is a combination of SunOS doing sector sparing
and stange use of cylinders for "esp". When it used to be a disk
on a sparc it only gave about 1.0 to 1.1Gb.

With the Sun disklabel support, I think this will still be the case
at the moment, but at some stage I am sure we will have NetBSD
disklabels and what I wat to know is if this "problem" will go away ?

Or is it a function of the esp controller ?

Help, thanks,
--
Peter Galbavy				e-mail: P.Galbavy@wonderland.org
Wonderland				  work: peterg@demon.co.uk (soon)

	I like my food, I am what I eat, therefore I like myself