Subject: NetBSD/sparc experience
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Yeng-Chee Su <yenchee@Zeus.csie.nctu.edu.tw>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/26/1994 17:59:30
  I just rebuild all the source tree of NetBSD-current for sparc.  It works
fine on its own object code.  However, there are something wrong on the
kernel.  First of all, the sparc kernel doesn't allocate space for SYSVSEM
and SYSVMSG.  That's why I can't boot in my last mail.  After I added some
code, it works now.  Secondly, the kdb driver doesn't process some ioctl
call, such as KIOLAYOUT in Sun.  This ioctl is important for X11R5 because
it needs the keyboard layout to run.  I hacked some code to process the
KIOLAYOUT in kbd.c and force it to return 0 always.  Now I can run X server
properly.  The last problem is the tty/pty allocation problem.  I don't
know what's wrong with this, so I haven't solved it yet.  After I start X
server, I can't run any term such as xterm or cxterm.  After some probing,
I found it can't run because it can't allocate a pty/tty.  This happened
on GNU screen too.  Thus, I think it's not the problem of X.  By the way,
all these programs are in SunOS object format and run well on SunOS.  Any
solution available?

  /             National Chiao Tung University in Taiwan                 / \
 |  Phone: +886-35-783513           E-mail: yenchee@csie.nctu.edu.tw    |