Subject: Re: Linking programs using NetBSD/Sparc
To: None <ppan@celsiustech.se>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/14/1994 10:44:48
> I installed NetBSD-0.9a/sparc this Monday, but I have trouble compiling
> programs, at least dynamically linked ones. I have tried rebuilding the
> C library, but that didn't help. Anybody reecognize these errors and have
> a clue ? (I don't). Otherwise NetBSD om sparc looks real good !

If you want to experiment with shared libraries, you should grab the current
sources and re-install gcc, gas, ld, libc and ld.so (in that order).
Remove any libc.so file you may have lying around, as it most certainly does
not do what you'd expect.

In particular, gas for the Sparc needed a lot of attention to convince it to
generate the correct relocation information (both in PIC and ordinary mode).
Also, the libc system call stubs and other assembly language routines needed
some PIC modifications.

-pk