Subject: NetBSD/sparc binaries
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/04/1994 00:49:11
at this very moment i am placing the NetBSD sparc binaries on
sun-lamp in the ftp area. They are in
	pub/NetBSD/sparc
There are a number of very large .tar.gz files in there (which
I might split up... I've not decided yet).

I will also place a "netbsd" kernel in there which is based on the
TDR2 config file. This kernel uses sd0 as it's root device by default.
It's simply meant to solve your bootstrapping proplems. (the kernel is
currently moving slowly from my machine to sun-lamp, i'll put it in
place as soon as it gets there; if i'm awake :-)

Until there are better instructions written, here's a rough idea:

1. format and partition the disk using sunos. yup, NetBSD/sparc uses
   sunos disk labels. i am running a quantum 105 with these partition
   sizes:
  a:    28140        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.    0 - 133)
  b:    16170    28140    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.  134 - 210)
  c:   204540        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 973)
  g:   160230    44310    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.  211 - 973)

   things are fitting ok, but i suggest a bigger disk. i'm very much
   dependent on nfs for other things.

2. newfs it using sunos. yup, the filesystem format is identical.
   UFS hasn't changed much over the years.
3. put a SunOS /boot program in the root partition, and use
   "installboot" to cause it to work. the "installboot" man page
   says to do something like this:

   say you are running SunOS, and the drive you are installing
   NetBSD/sparc on is currently at /dev/sd1. You have made the
   filesystems on that drive.

	# mount /dev/sd1a /mnt
	# cd /usr/mdec
	# ./installboot -vlt /mnt/boot bootsd /dev/rsd1a
4. copy the provided kernel onto that disk.
5. untar the provided .tar.gz files onto the disk. the XXX.tar.gz
   files are rooted at /, and the usr.XXX.tar.gz files are rooted
   at /usr. you'd be best off doing a "tar tvf" on them first to
   see what the paths in them are.

6. Now comes the hard and interesting part. I ran out of time
   today building an "etc.tar.gz" file, so you need to create
   /etc yourself. Ugh!

   my best suggestion would be to copy /etc off a NetBSD/i386
   machine running NetBSD-current. Make sure you edit the file
   /etc/ttys and "vga" line to

	console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc" sun     on secure

   After I catch some nappies i will build an etc.tar.gz file
   and put it in the ftp directory. i know a lot of you want
   the binaries now though...

7. swap your scsi id's and try a reboot. initially I'd suggest
   you boot "-bs", then try multiuser after that.

please let me know if there are any errors in these
instructions. if so i'll correct them and mail it out again.

good luck (and good night, i need sleep!!)