Subject: Re: cross compile from 386 problem(s)
To: None <peter@alice.wonderland.org>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/02/1994 21:46:31
> I had to stop going down this route tho', because to get anywhere
> I had to link against a NetBSD libc, which was OK, but I then got
> lots of "Bad system call" type messages. At this point I gave up
> this approach.
>
> Next, I thought I would try making my 486 a cross-compile platform,
> which after tweaking various environment variables and hacking at
> /usr/share/mk/sys.mk a bit went OK *until* I tried to run "ld".

The necessary hooks for making a cross-linker are there. But a ready to
run make target is not available. I've never made a cross-linker on a
386 platform, but it shouldn't be a big problem since the system header
files match up nicely.

Making a cross-linker on SunOS (4.x) for NetBSD is easier byte sex-wise, but
needs fiddling with a number of header files.

By tomorrow I'll have a set of NetBSD Sparc binaries ready which should give
you a working base.

-pk