Subject: cross compile from 386 problem(s)
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@alice.wonderland.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/02/1994 19:42:07
Since Theo's "announcement" that the sparc port was ready to go, I
thought to have a go. My first attempt was to try to bootstrap on a
Sun using native tools and cycling up through the bootstrap process.

I got as far a getting a compiled kernel that boots fine and works
in multi-user mode, except will not run X or openwin. No matter, I
thought this was quite good for a mornings work :-)

I had to stop going down this route tho', because to get anywhere
I had to link against a NetBSD libc, which was OK, but I then got
lots of "Bad system call" type messages. At this point I gave up
this approach.

Next, I thought I would try making my 486 a cross-compile platform,
which after tweaking various environment variables and hacking at
/usr/share/mk/sys.mk a bit went OK *until* I tried to run "ld".

All I get is IOT traps. I suspect that using sparc headers with the
i386 compiler is too blame, alignments etc. The assembler produces
sparc code, but without an ld I am at a dead end. I am going to try
this again at home now, since I know what I have to do to get to where
I was at work...

Any suggestions ??? Help etc.

Thanks Theo and Paul and everyone else for making it get this far. Death
to Solaris 2 8->
--
Peter Galbavy				e-mail: P.Galbavy@wonderland.org
Wonderland				  work: P.Galbavy@micromuse.co.uk

	  "And you will know exactly who you are, forever,
		by knowing what it is that you love."