Subject: Re: NetBSD on SPARC?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: - Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/27/1994 00:16:07
>  There are some spare Sun ELCs in my department and I see there is a source
>tree for Sparc in NetBSD now.  Does it really work?  How do I pull up the ELC
>into NetBSD?  The ELC is running SunOS 4.1.3 with 32 Mb RAM.  Thanks.

I too am interested in the same question.

So far, my take on things is

(1) There's about a small handful of people in the world trying to use the
    SPARC port, and half of them seem to be Sun employees posting from machines
    outside Sun so as to avoid that horrible risk of committing a CLM
    (Career-Limiting Move (-: )

(2) The discussion on current-users is so x86-oriented that it makes me wonder
    if any of the changes which are made and/or thrown about on the mailing
    list are ever tried out on the other "ports" before they're committed

(3) The Sun OpenBoot PROM manual describes how to create a bootable floppy, but
    I don't recall seeing any references to same in the port-sparc archives

(4) Some of the code appears to have come from Chris Torek's 4.4BSD efforts at
    LBL; I don't know what the status of that code is or what will happen to it
    in the future (I'm aware that he's now working for BSD,i)

I have a TriGem TGstation SDT-200 at home (a SPARCstation-1 clone) which I
would love to use as a guinea pig, but given the above it looks a little too
obscure or risky to attempt it.  If anyone wants to convince me otherwise, I'm
all ears (-:  (I have 2.45 Gig of disk and an Exabyte EXB-8500 plus a CD-ROM
drive, so I'm not worried about blowing anything away.)

	- Greg