Subject: Re: Repeatable crashes
To: None <port-sh3@netbsd.org, port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
List: port-sh3
Date: 04/13/2005 15:21:06
On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 03:27:25AM +0400, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 01:18:10 +0200, Harold Gutch wrote:
>
> > > The change to mmu_sh3.c is committed and pulled up to 3.x.  Can
> > > someone please test if mmu.c can be reverted w/out breaking dc?
> >
> > Ok, I finally got my Dreamcast up and running again for the first time
> > since around Christmas.  Right now it's running NetBSD-3.99.1 as of
> > Mar 25.  For the moment I'd just like to build a few larger packages
> > over night and see how stable it runs with Izumi's MMU changes from
> > December, then I'll happily test what you asked for.
> >
> > What exactly do you need me to do?  Just revert the commit to mmu.c
> > from December 30 and see if I get crashes?  Or should I first upgrade
> > to a recent current (after Apr 05), see what happens, then back out
> > Izumi's commit to mmu.c and test again?
>
> My "fix" doesn't affect the dreamcast - it doesn't use mmu_sh3.c - so
> it's not really necessary to catch up with few days of -current.
>
> Please, revert the last revision of mmu.c (date: 2004/12/30 09:48:30;
> author: tsutsui) and check if dc is still stable.

It seems I'm the wrong person to test this.  My Dreamcast crashed with
both revision 1.9 and revision 1.10 of mmu.c.  Apparently there's
something else introducing instability that needs to be fixed first.

With revision 1.10 of mmu.c my Dreamcast just halted at some point.
It would still reply to pings and new TCP-connections would be
established, but that's it then, I didn't see e.g. SSH versionstrings.
TV-out still worked, but all that was printed on the TV were a few
messages saying that the NFS server was not responding and that it was
back again.  No panic message, nothing.

I'll check if there are any other messages on the TV as soon as I'm
back home tonight.

Just for references, my Dreamcast crashed when I tried building
pkgsrc/databases/postgresql80.

bye,
  Harold