Subject: Re: Status of ELF for sh3?
To: SAITOH Masanobu <masanobu@iij.ad.jp>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sh3
Date: 01/27/2001 10:05:18
On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, SAITOH Masanobu wrote:

: And recently, gcc-current switches NOT to use underscore.
: egcs-2.95.2 still uses underscore.

However, we will not have gcc-current in NetBSD 1.6.  We'll have to switch
the in tree gcc 2.95.2 (should not be a difficult thing).

: If we switche not to use underscore, some ICEes may confuse (not verified
: because I'm using COFF only).

ICEs that do the wrong thing with ELF deserve to break.

However, if the asm parts of NetBSD/sh3 are written properly (with
_C_LABEL()), you could still compile a static COFF system with a few tweaks
in <bsd.own.mk> and <bsd.sys.mk>.

: 	1) In September 2000, sh-elf specific part of gcc-current have
: 	  not to use underscore and to use GOT.

Hm.  So PIC support is not in gcc 2.95.2?

: 	3) egcs-1.1.2 doesn't supports -m4 option (i.e. SH4)

Not to worry, egcs-1.1.2 is going away soon.

: 	5) sh's egcs-2.95.2 is tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo buggy. Yes offcourse gcc-current is buggy, too.

Not much we can do yet except keep optimization levels low (-O1) and watch
for Internal Compiler Errors.

If sh3 support in gcc-current stabilizes, we could "outsource" the toolchain
as sparc64 does for 1.5.  However, gcc-current (soon gcc 3.0) is far too
buggy to import into gnusrc for some time.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/