Subject: Re: SH3 ELF
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Klaus Klein <klaus.klein@security.kpnqwest.com>
List: port-sh3
Date: 11/19/2000 18:33:56
Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com> writes:

>  > This is because egcs puts underscores ('_') to C labels when object
>  > format is ELF for SH.  For other CPUs, underscores are not prepended
>  > for ELF object format.  I don't know why they do it in this manner.
>
> ...err, this seems broken.  ELF is ELF, and as far as I know, the ELF
> spec says "no prepending underscores".

While there isn't such a thing as an 'ELF spec', it is noted in the
System V ABI spec, while discussing symbol tables, that "External C
symbols have the same names in C and in object files' symbol tables."

However, I can't preclude the possibility of the Super-H architecture
supplement (is there one?) overruling this statement in favor of a
prefix.  (Neither is the note quoted from the MI spec shall-ified.)