Subject: Do we need new MACHINE_ARCH for Dreamcast?
To: None <port-sh3@netbsd.org>
From: None <bsh@grotto.iijnet.or.jp>
List: port-sh3
Date: 09/18/2000 15:45:15
Hi folks,

  I've succeeded to boot a kernel on my Dreamcast via Marcus
Comstedt's serial upload slave (Nothing new. just to the same point as
saitoh-san already showed us).  My next step will be to put ram disk
image into kernel and try some userland programs from serial console.

  I realized that it's not just compiling current source tree, so I
want people with better knowledge correct me if I misunderstand.

+ MACHINE_ARCH=sh3 is for big endian since evbsh3 and mmeye are big
  endian platform, while dreamcast is little endian.  We need new
  MACHINE_ARCH, say sh3el.  I don't fully understand how much work
  will be necessary for this, but at least we need to modify some
  makefiles in the tree.

+ Do we want sh3eb when we have sh3el?

+ Is it OK to set MACHINE_ARCH=sh3el and MACHINE=evbsh3 for dreamcast,
  and MACHINE_ARCH=sh3 MACHINE=evbsh3 for evbsh3? It looks bad.
  We need MACHINE=dreamcast.

I'm going to start them on my local source tree.  Please stop me if
I'm on the wrong way.  If things go fine,  I want to try rogue.  It
would be nice to see the latest game console running the first
generation roll playing game :-)

---
bsh.