Subject: Re: committing NetBSD/sh3 code
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: msaitoh <msaitoh@spa.is.uec.ac.jp>
List: port-sh3
Date: 09/13/1999 17:50:03
 > Are the mmeye and evbsh3 different enough to warrent their own top-level
 > sys/arch directories?

The reason why I splited NetBSD/sh3 into arch/mmeye and arch/evbsh3 is:

	1) I want evbsh3 to be plain, generic and reference system for SH*.

	2) mmEye have some mmEye specific circuits outside CPU
	   (e.g. interrupt mask register. It's difficult to share
	    interrupt routine).

	3) Boot mechanism of NetBSD/mmEye is very tricky. There is no
	   boot loader (or boot loader is almost the same as normal
	   kernel image).

	4) mmEye is big endian machine. evbsh3 is works both big endian
	   and little endian (though this doesn't become the reason
	   to split into arch/mmeye and arch/evbsh3)

		SAITOH Masanobu (msaitoh@spa.is.uec.ac.jp,
		                 msaitoh@netbsd.org)
		University of Electro-Communications