Re: SGI O2 R12 NetBSD5.1 - good but some problems

On 10 Jan 2011, at 20:45, George Harvey wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 20:19:00 +0000 (UTC) roop <info%tamasi.org@localhost>
> wrote:
>> I have a PS/2 HP badged mouse w/scroll wheel which IRIX can use

> Works here with a HP scroll mouse, HP P/N 5183-9012. You should
> see a line like "wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0".

Mines a HP P/n 417966-001. I found in the PROM if unplugged and plugged the
mouse back in and the pointer works in PROM.  But booting into NetBSD doesn't
get me the wsmouse0 at pms0 and it doesn't work for wsmoused.  Works reliably
in IRIX so it's not the connector. Must be initialisation. Waiting on an
alternative mouse.

>> Like another user on this maillist I also received a couple of CPU Error
>> 4's with the result of a complete lockup.

> Yes, I get the "error 4' messages too and I agree they do seem to be
> related to network activity. In particular, I can fairly reliably hang
> my box by sending a largish file (around 100MB) to another system using
> FTP. Doesn't always hang on the first transfer but will after running a
> few consecutive transfers.

There are some small updates in NetBSD-current I was going to try.
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/arch/sgimips/mace/

I was just building tools and a new kernel. I'm getting cpu error 4 throughout
the whole day and night but without any fatal lockup. Syslog has logged about
half a dozen of them.  The system was stable for 36 hours.
Then this evening I've managed to generate 2 fatal error 4 in an hour - first
performing cvs update + scrolling through less(1) output with screen(1) on the
console. The second was resizing a terminal running screen(1) over ssh. Clearly
network activity during these times, but also lots of interrupts scrolling down
screen line by line.

> My xorg.conf is included below.
That's great. I just wanted to compare yours with mine. It's the same.

Well I hope to become smart enough to actually do something about these
problem.
Would love to have this system up.

Incidentally I have video option + O2Cam if one of the gfx hackers wants to
borrow it to investigate the video IO.