Re: Random hangs on 5.0 on R5000 Challenge S

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 19:08:49 +0000 (UTC)
christos%astron.com@localhost (Christos Zoulas) wrote:

> In article <20090707165703.4880d5d4.fr30%dial.pipex.com@localhost>,
> George Harvey  <fr30%dial.pipex.com@localhost> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a R5000 Challenge S which has been running NetBSD 4.0 quite
> >happily. Today I upgraded it to 5.0 and now I'm seeing random hangs.
> >
> >The first one happened during the upgrade process itself when
> >postinstall hung while performing the cleanups after installing base
> >and etc. Hitting ctrl-C broke out of postinstall and allowed the rest
> >of the upgrade to continue. On rebooting from local disk, what I now
> >see are hangs at various places while running the rc script. For
> >example, I've seen it hang in fsck, mount, rm, sshd and getty.
> >Sometimes I can use ctrl-C to abort the hung process and it will
> >continue on for a few steps then hang somewhere else. Kernel boot
> >messages are included below, if there is any other info I can provide
> >that would help to find the problem, let me know.
>
> Can you cause processes to hang? Can you ktrace them?

No, the system hangs completely before it gets to the login prompt.
However, I can drop into ddb on the console.

As an experiment today, I moved the disk into another Challenge S in my
collection, this time with a R4400 CPU. So far, I haven't had any hangs
on the R4400 system, I can login, compile programs, access the network
and everything works normally. That suggests to me that problem may be
R5000 specific, maybe a cache issue?

George