Re: SoC projects for NetBSD/sgimips

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:18:51 +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:

 martin> Both - the idea is to insert the CD and be able to boot from
 martin> it just with a few mouse clicks, no keyboard input needed
 martin> untill the console login prompt (or sysinst) appears. There
 martin> is prior art, and it is pretty easy to do.
IIRC sgi prom cannot grok ISO and expects sgi boot header on CD, it
loads sash from the volume header and then sash loads Irix kernel from
efs partition on CD. I don't think there are any plans to support efs
on netbsd which means that sgi volume header must be on CD and must
contain the boot loader. I've never installed netbsd from CDs, always
via tftp so I don't know what format the CD comes from. I guess I
should get one now and have a look...

 martin> Sounds like an ideal SoC project to me if you happen to have
 martin> the hardware (or are willing to find some cheap on ebay).
Speaking of hardware, if you sign someone in Melbourne, AU, I can
supply an O2 or an Indy with CD drive, cables and caddy. I'll even let
the contributor keep the box if they want it.

max