Re: mec and resets

Quoting Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost>:

On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 10:00:17PM +0200, Jorge Acereda Maciá wrote:
Still, initiating it from the Mac I can crash it easily. I haven't
been able to copy base.tgz more than 2 times in a row.

Too bad - I'll stress mine and see if I can make it die too.

Is there some way to verify the watchdog is disabled? Or can we reconfigure
it's timeout?

I'm pretty sure it is disabled. We explicitly write 0 to CRIME_CONTROL upon attaching crime. I'm not sure this is a good idea, though. There appear to be a bunch of other bits in that register aside from watchdog enable and I have no idea whether they should be set or not.

As for reconfiguring the timeout, I'm of the impression that the previous watchdog code was wrong and the comment in crimereg.h regarding setting CRIME_WATCHDOG to 0 to reset the counter is untrue. Looking at the IRIX headers, they make no mention of this and seem to indicate writing an explicit timeout value (0x7fff). As far as I can tell (and I only looked very quickly), OpenBSD and Linux don't touch the watchdog in any way whatsoever.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that it's disabled now. You could always make crime_watchdog_reset() a no-op to be absolutely sure.

Steve