Re: server

On Apr 25, 2008, at 3:55 PM, Al - image hosting services wrote:

Would I be able to put 3 - 500 drives and have 3 network cards in any of
the SGI systems that are supported by NetBSD?

Yes. Obtain an Indigo/Indy with a decently clocked r5ksc, attach external drive sleds, and fill the GIO slots with eBay-sourced NICs.

The other issue is I would really like something that would be faster than an Apple G3 blue & white.

You haven't defined "fast". (I have seen your messages on port-alpha, and suspect that your definition of "fast" is not computationally- based) For a non-slashdotted webserver, the above will suit you fine.

Wish in one hand, and do something else in the other, and see which one comes true. You've given yourself artificial constraints, according to the data in port-alpha; if you choose a non-mainstream platform, you cannot expect it to match the performance of the high- bandwidth/clocked hardware that you despise.

-- Chris