Subject: Re: O2 R5000 & NetBSD (Current)
To: Ole Andre Rodlie <olear@slackforge.net>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/15/2007 14:29:17

Hello,

On Sep 15, 2007, at 14:00, Ole Andre Rodlie wrote:

> After the installation I selected "reboot computer", but there
> everything froze. Even the power button didn't work (had to remove the
> power cord).

That happens when we reprogram the video backend to use something
resembling a linear framebuffer. I have no idea why it apparently
freaks out the firmware ( reboot and such are firmware calls ) or how
to get around it. No need to power cycle though - there's a reset
button hidden in a hole next to the power button.

> Started the computer again, and got the following error:
>
> Autoboot failed:
> pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)/unix : media not loaded

The firmware tries to load IRIX - change 'unix' to 'boot', the path
may be wrong as well.
Then, I don't know if the installer sets up an SGI volume header with
loader and everything - I netbooted my O2 and installed by hand. In
doubt look at the stuff in /usr/mdec, there's a tool ( I forgot the
name but it should be obvious ) to manipulate SGI volume headers and
to install files in there - we need our own boot loader, not the one
IRIX uses.
Yes, that's way more complicated than necessary.
X11 won't be all that fast - we don't have sufficient docs about the
rendering engine ( I got some hints but no results so far ). It does
run in 24bit though, and with a shadow framebuffer it's kind of
bearable.

> That's it. Tried reinstalling 3 times. Also tried changing unix to
> netbsd, but got the same error.

I think you need to specify the loader there, or rather what file to
load from the volume header. Should be 'boot'. The kernel name is in
another variable, OSLoadFilename.

> Do I need to specify another partition or image at the console?

Probably.

> Leftovers from IRIX in "MBR"?

Very likely.

I'm using this:
OSLoadPartition=pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)
OSLoader=boot
OSLoadFilename=netbsd
SystemPartition=pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)

to boot from disk 1.

have fun
Michael