Subject: O2 R5000 & NetBSD (Current)
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Ole Andre Rodlie <olear@slackforge.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/15/2007 20:00:38
Hi,

Got a old SGI O2 (R5000 180MHz 4GB HD 128MB RAM) collecting dust, I
got the machine from work around a year ago. The machine included IRIX
6.3 + some overlays, but the OS is dated and not usable for anything
(can't upgrade to 6.5.x). I tried NetBSD 3.x when I got it, but since
I didn't have access to a serial I gave up.

Now I'm ready to revive the O2 again. Started with a Gentoo LiveCD. It
worked ok, but no sound and the GUI was slow, probably a combination
of LiveCD, RAM and framebuffer. Since I'm a fan of NetBSD I had to try
it again. This time Current (downloaded latest ISO from
ftp.netbsd.org). Not as user friendly as Gentoo (Gentoo has autoboot),
but after specifying device and image in the console, the installer
booted.

After the installation I selected "reboot computer", but there
everything froze. Even the power button didn't work (had to remove the
power cord).

Started the computer again, and got the following error:

Autoboot failed:
pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)/unix : media not loaded

That's it. Tried reinstalling 3 times. Also tried changing unix to
netbsd, but got the same error.

Do I need to specify another partition or image at the console?
Leftovers from IRIX in "MBR"?

Ole Andre