Subject: Re: R10k errors (was: Re: R10k O2 won't boot)
To: Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@rezrov.net>
From: None <dlg@dsrw.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/10/2007 22:54:20
--NMuMz9nt05w80d4+

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 03:35:07PM +0900, Christopher SEKIYA wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 11:30:12PM -0500, david l goodrich wrote:
>=20
> > Okay, I rolled my own kernel (crossbuilt on i386) for fun, and
> > tried checking out pkgsrc again.
> >=20
> > This time it rebooted spontaneously in the middle of checkout.
>=20
> We're still not doing bounce-buffer stuff for DMA on r10k.  The behavior =
that
> you are observing is unfortunate but not unexpected.
>=20
> For fun, you might want to try the patch I posted to the list awhile back
> at http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sgimips/2005/12/13/0000.html
>=20
> As Tsutsui-san pointed out, it doesn't handle all cases where DMA would be
> performed below the magic 8M barrier.  However, it might be enough to
> stabilize your machine -- and give you a good starting point if you wanted
> to flesh it out and thereby contribute to the project.

That assumes I remember any of the semester of MIPS assembly i
had in college, or don't mind the rash that seems to develop when
i get any lower-level than a network config file.

I'll test pretty much anything you want, but programming DMA is
well beyond the realm of what i'm capable of or willing to do
right now.

Speaking of testing...

I just installed this:
neptune# uname -a
NetBSD neptune.dsrw.org 4.99.31 NetBSD 4.99.31 (GENERIC32_IP3x) #0: Mon Sep=
 10 03:39:41 PDT 2007 builds@wb25:/home/builds/ab/HEAD/sgimips/200709090002=
Z-obj/home/builds/ab/HEAD/src/sys/arch/sgimips/compile/GENERIC32_IP3x sgimi=
ps
neptune#=20

And it was much more stable.  But still, of course, spontaneously
rebooted during a pkgsrc build.
  --david

--NMuMz9nt05w80d4+

--NMuMz9nt05w80d4+--