Subject: Re: Building perl hangs on -current
To: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
From: Stephen M. Rumble <stephen.rumble@utoronto.ca>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/04/2006 22:03:03
Quoting George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>:

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:37:36 +0000
> George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> [ snip ]
>
> After several disk swaps, re-installs and Perl builds, I think I'm
> finally getting somewhere. The combination that's currently working is
> 3.1 userland with a -current (4.99.3) kernel. I've successfully built
> Perl 5.8.8 from pkgsrc, with pkgsrc NFS mounted over the G130 100Mb
> Ethernet interface, and I'm currently building a number of other
> packages that I need. Looks like it was the combination of a 4.0 BETA
> userland (before the recent re-branch) and a -current kernel that was
> causing the kernel hangs.

Glad to hear that you're having success. Now if only we knew why, exactly.

I was hoping that somebody more knowledgable would comment regarding
the "amap_wipeout" panic you saw, but I imagine the right eyes aren't
watching this quiet list. When you get a chance, could you send the
R5000 revision? It should be in the dmesg. Also, is your O2 an R5000
as well? I'm wondering if our kernel or toolchain has any problems
with possibly older revisions of those parts.

When I get a chance in a few weeks I'll have to run some builds and
see if I can reproduce these problems on my R4400 machines.

Regards,
Steve