Subject: Re: Building perl hangs on -current
To: None <rumble@ephemeral.org>
From: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/29/2006 16:28:01
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 00:33:26 -0500
"Stephen M. Rumble" <stephen.rumble@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Quoting George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running a -current kernel (9th Nov.) on a R5000 Challenge S. I'm
> > trying to build Perl 5.8.8 from pkgsrc but each time I run 'make' I
> > get a kernel hang, no response on the serial console, none on the
> > network and no error messages.

[ snip ]

> You could compile a kernel with the DEBUG and DIAGNOSTIC options to
> see if anything trips up. Are you able to break into the kernel
> debugger by issuing a BREAK on the serial console?
>
> Just out of curiosity, can you still ping the machine, but not connect
> to it?

Didn't check that, will do next time.

> > I don't know if it makes a difference but pkgsrc is on a NFS mount
> > (it was for the O2 build as well).
>
> Are you still using the G130? If so, could you try doing the build
> over the on-board SEEQ interface instead? If that fails as well, is it

I did wonder if it might be the G130 so I already tried with the
on-board Ethernet and it hung with that as well. I also built an IP3x
kernel, from the same -current source, and tried the NFS build again on
my O2 with no problems.

> possible to attempt a local pkgsrc build?

Tried a local build and got a seg fault after about 2hrs building, no
hang though. Since I had no problems on an O2 running 3.1, I think I'll
re-install the Challenge S with 3.1 userland and try the local build
again with that.

Thanks,
George