Subject: Building perl hangs on -current
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/25/2006 00:11:36
Hi,

I'm running a -current kernel (9th Nov.) on a R5000 Challenge S. I'm
trying to build Perl 5.8.8 from pkgsrc but each time I run 'make' I get
a kernel hang, no response on the serial console, none on the network
and no error messages. The hang doesn't happen at the same place each
time but I haven't been able to see exactly where for all of the hangs
because it kills my xterm session. The two I did see were after 'Making
B (dynamic)' and 'Extracting perlivp (with variable substitutions)'.

I have successfully built Perl, from the same pkgsrc, on a R5000 O2
running 3.1 so it looks like something specific to either the IP2x or
-current. Is there any debugging I can enable to try and locate the
problem?

I don't know if it makes a difference but pkgsrc is on a NFS mount (it
was for the O2 build as well).

Regards,
George